11:22pm, Nairobi
After 3 safe flights, the best airline food I’ve ever tasted courtesy of Air France, and one Kenyan toilet malfunction, I’m safe and sound on the outskirts of Nairobi. For the rest of this week Burnie Whitson and I will be working as a team with our partner Bernard Kabaru to encourage and train pastors in the towns of Limuru and Gatanguru, while Jeremy Keever and David Allston will be doing the same in Sipili and Karatina with Pastor Peter Wanjohi. This morning as Burnie and I worshipped with the folks at Koinonia Church I was reminded of the profound importance of the partnership that we are forging with the leaders of Central Kenya with the help of Bernard Kabaru.
I have a deepening awareness that the problems facing the Kenyan church are problems that can be solved by Kenyans who are being led by the Spirit but I am also clear on the fact that we need to be here. Our conversations with Bernard and other pastors at Koinonia have already challenged my thinking about what it means to be Culturally Engaged, whether we are in Powdersville, Greenville, the Golden Strip or even Gatanguru. The fact that I can leave Powdersville on a Friday morning and preach on Sunday morning after a good night’s rest in Nairobi tells us that most of the people of the world are quite literally our neighbors. That means we’re on the hook to love them well with all that God has entrusted to us. I’m sure I’ll learn a lot more on this trip, but for now I’m overwhelmed by that one thought.
Today, November 22
We are doing well, I taught for about 5.5 hours on preaching and pastoral leadership to an audience of 12 pastors yesterday and all was well received. We are in Limuru and all of the pastors here know English well, so there is no need for translation into Kiswahil but that will not be the case when we travel to Gatanguru on Wednesday. Today, Burnie will be leading a session training the men in a method of strategic planning. It’s a critically important matter for all of the churches so we are hoping most of the men will be able to return today.
The weather has been a real challenge as it has been raining steadily for weeks and many of the pastors who were planning to come to Limuru have had a difficult time making the journey as they are coming from far away on bad roads that have been soaked for more than a month. Regardless, we will have a good time with the local pastors in Limuru. I am very encouraged with the progress that I see in leadership development since my last trip in 2009. It’s really remarkable.
After 3 safe flights, the best airline food I’ve ever tasted courtesy of Air France, and one Kenyan toilet malfunction, I’m safe and sound on the outskirts of Nairobi. For the rest of this week Burnie Whitson and I will be working as a team with our partner Bernard Kabaru to encourage and train pastors in the towns of Limuru and Gatanguru, while Jeremy Keever and David Allston will be doing the same in Sipili and Karatina with Pastor Peter Wanjohi. This morning as Burnie and I worshipped with the folks at Koinonia Church I was reminded of the profound importance of the partnership that we are forging with the leaders of Central Kenya with the help of Bernard Kabaru.
I have a deepening awareness that the problems facing the Kenyan church are problems that can be solved by Kenyans who are being led by the Spirit but I am also clear on the fact that we need to be here. Our conversations with Bernard and other pastors at Koinonia have already challenged my thinking about what it means to be Culturally Engaged, whether we are in Powdersville, Greenville, the Golden Strip or even Gatanguru. The fact that I can leave Powdersville on a Friday morning and preach on Sunday morning after a good night’s rest in Nairobi tells us that most of the people of the world are quite literally our neighbors. That means we’re on the hook to love them well with all that God has entrusted to us. I’m sure I’ll learn a lot more on this trip, but for now I’m overwhelmed by that one thought.
We are doing well, I taught for about 5.5 hours on preaching and pastoral leadership to an audience of 12 pastors yesterday and all was well received. We are in Limuru and all of the pastors here know English well, so there is no need for translation into Kiswahil but that will not be the case when we travel to Gatanguru on Wednesday. Today, Burnie will be leading a session training the men in a method of strategic planning. It’s a critically important matter for all of the churches so we are hoping most of the men will be able to return today.
The weather has been a real challenge as it has been raining steadily for weeks and many of the pastors who were planning to come to Limuru have had a difficult time making the journey as they are coming from far away on bad roads that have been soaked for more than a month. Regardless, we will have a good time with the local pastors in Limuru. I am very encouraged with the progress that I see in leadership development since my last trip in 2009. It’s really remarkable.
Please pray for us and the pastors we are training.
-Bill White