Thursday, December 22, 2011

FAQ Friday: What Does Christmas Mean To You? (Part 1)

We asked several staff members what Christmas means to them so over the next two days we'll share our thoughts of Christmas with you.  Please let us know what this season means to YOU by leaving a comment below.

Merry Christmas!

To me, Christmas means it's "His Birthday First." This phrase came from an old radio drama telling the story of a child born on Christmas day in the mid-1950's. The drama tells snippets of the boy's life through his teens. As he grows up, he realizes December 25 is not about his own birthday presents and parties. It's all about the greatest gift ever given: Jesus Christ - God's Son & our Savior. This story reminds me to focus on Jesus, not the holiday gatherings, gifts, and chaos the world tells me is most important.
-Sherry Taylor, Culturally Engaged Project Coordinator

Christmas has always been one of my favorite times of the year and I have many great memories of Christmas traditions with my family growing up. I have been known to break out the Christmas music in July, which annoys most of my family but holds me off until it comes on the radio in December. As a child/adolescent, I'm sure my focus was more on the presents, food, parties, etc. that accompanied Christmas. While I still enjoy those things, it is now definitely a season to remember how blessed I am by the arrival of Christ and all that He did for us on earth and on the cross.
-Scott Freeman, Community Groups Pastor

For me, Christmas is a time where the world finally slows down, leaving us with extra time to focus on the best things in life: our faith, our family, and our friends.
-Nate Emory, Cultor House
Christmas is a time to be with family and rejoice in the grace he has shown to our family. We love being together as a family, which highlights the fact that God sent His only Son to earth so that we might be His family rather than His enemies.
-David Allston, Ministry to Singles

Christmas means something different to me every year. It depends on the state of my heart, where I am in my relationship with Jesus, what's going on in my life. The years I have been pregnant at Christmastime, I see the reality of Mary's experience with a heightened awareness and sensitivity. Some years it sneaks up on me, when I have found myself preoccupied with the holiday of an experience, not the celebration of Christ's coming, and I feel a disappointment for missing the moment. Every year is different, as my understanding grows of the sacrifice Christ made when He was born in flesh. The decorations, gifts, food, and growing family remain a constant every year; I think I am thankful for a Savior who continues to come very unexpectedly into my heart to change me for His glory.
-Molly Burns, Children's Ministry Saturday Night Coordinator
I would describe the Christmas Season as "Enjoyable Stress". There are the typical pressures of extended family time, company parties, Christmas cards, shopping, gift-giving and kids out of school but there is also a spiritual stress of keeping a correct perspective which is harder than it seems. Compared to typical "stress" throughout the year, this one is actually kind of warm, pleasant and familiar.
- Matt New, Web Development/Graphic Design

Our blog has moved to a new home! Please visit http://gracechurchblog.org to continue the conversation!