The idea that most resonated with me was Election. Ephesians 1:4 says, “Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes” (NLT). When you begin thinking about the practical implications of what it means to have a sovereign God choosing people before the world was created, it raises huge questions. A personal question might be “Why would God choose me?” A broader question might be “Why would God choose them?”
Why would God choose me?
Why would God choose them?
My teenage years were a turbulent time not only for me, but for my mom and dad as they struggled with how to parent a rebellious son. I remember the feeling of always choosing what was best for me. It seemed an easy way to live life when every decision could be answered with the question, “What do I want?” The answer always came in the form of whatever brought me comfort. I picked what I perceived to be most beneficial for me at the moment. The thing is, I don’t think I’m unique in that decision making process. I didn’t need anyone to train me on how to make decisions this way. It wasn’t something I had to learn; it just came naturally.
When we read scriptures like Ephesians 1 and Romans 8 that speak of God choosing people, we see that He is making decisions and moving toward things that are not necessarily easy or beneficial for Him. He doesn't make choices based upon His own comfort. Also, His decisions and actions are not based on our worth or merit. His ways are not our ways. I think that is why, when we are faced with the idea of election, we have a tendency to ask the “why?” questions: Why would God choose me? Why would God choose them?
When I look back at how God has worked in my life, I am humbled by the magnitude of His grace and forgiveness. I understand clearly that I do not deserve the blessings He has given me. I do not deserve to be forgiven. The reality is, I have offended Him and have spent a good part of my life rejecting Him. I continue to sin daily, yet His grace abounds toward me. He did not choose me because I was worthy. He did not choose me because it was beneficial for Him. He did not choose me because it was easy or because it cost Him nothing. He chose me and set His affections on me because He loves me. That is what He wanted to do and it gave Him great pleasure. Based on that, I think it makes more sense to stop asking “Why?” and start saying, “Thank you.”
-Jim Taylor, Minister of Baptism/Media
-Jim Taylor, Minister of Baptism/Media