If you've been at Grace for a while, then you'll remember when the worship center on the Pelham Road Campus would be open all day on Good Friday for anyone wishing to come by, reflect, pray, and take communion while images and verses from Jesus's life scrolled by on the screens.
I loved this. I loved being able to sit in an almost empty worship center with the lights low and some candles lit while Jesus and I talked and reflected on what he had done for me that fateful day so many years ago.
So, I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed when I found out we wouldn't be doing that, but instead FILLING the worship center with not only Grace Church but with a whole other church too! The introvert inside of me wanted to throw a small fit. This was my time, my church, my Jesus... and now I'd have to share him not just on Sundays but on Good Friday too? And I'd have to share it all with an entire congregation that I had never seen or met before?
But then it hit me... as it usually does when I'm being stubborn and selfish. It wasn't about me. It never is. It's always about HIM.
So, last year, when Peter Hubbard got up on our stage and welcomed people to our church and then again this year, when Matt Williams got up on their stage to welcome people to their church, the big picture came into focus. We can't be all about our individual churches. If we want to continue to watch them grow, if we want to continue to see people's lives changed, if we want to continue to be a part of life change, then we have to look at the bigger picture. It's not about us, it's not about our churches, it's not about who has the better music or more thought provoking teaching... it's about all of us, as THE church, reaching out and telling others about Jesus and how he's changed our lives.
This year I was looking forward to the combined service. I was looking forward to worshiping as one body to reflect together, to pray together, and to take communion together. After all, it's not what Jesus did for me. It's what he did for ALL of us.
-Sabrina Lewis, church staff